The biomedical approach to autism is based on the latest scientific research that shows autism to have at least some biological causes – such as heavy metal poisoning, yeast infection, food sensitivity, nutritional deficiency, etc. This new understanding has brought new hope to autistic individuals and their families.
Much of the new research has been spearheaded by Dr Bernard Rimland of the Autism Research Institute (ARI), Dr Bernard Rimland has shattered the myth that autism is due to poor mothering, and that autism cannot be treated.
A number of people with autism have recovered fully while many others have made significant progress. The Autism Research Institute (ARI) has posted video clips of recovered autism cases on its website. However, there are also individuals with autism who do not seem to respond well to the biomedical approach to autism. A lot more remains to be discovered about autism.
Differences between children with autism and NeuroTypical children
Scientific evidence indicates that children with autism are often different in the following ways:
* Digestion: Children with autism tend to have more problems with digestion, including food sensitivity – particularly to wheat and dairy products. In addition, they tend to have yeast (candida) infection in their intestines. As a result of these digestion problems, autistic children tend to have more allergies as well as sleep problems.
* Toxic heavy metals: Analysis of the hair, urine and excrement of children with autism often reveal significantly higher levels of toxic heavy metals like lead, arsenic and particularly mercury. Mercury exposure could arise from vaccinations (that use mercury as a preservative), dental fillings and excessive consumption of fish and seafood from polluted waters containing mercury.
* Antibiotics: Excessive use of antibiotics can cause gut problems, such as yeast / bacterial over growth, as well as prevent mercury excretion.
* Minerals: Children with autism tend to be deficient in minerals such as sulfur, zinc, magnesium, iodine, lithium and potassium.
* Pesticides: Environmental toxins and other unknown environmental factors are also believed to contribute to autism and other behavioral problems.
Defeat Autism Now! protocol
The biomedical approach to autism forms the basis of the Defeat Autism Now! (DAN!) protocol that is practised by Dr. Ang Poon Liat and John Yeo at the Autism Recovery Centre in Singapore. As part of the biomedical approach to autism, the DAN! protocol includes:
* Nutritional supplements, including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids
* Special diets totally free of gluten (e.g. wheat, barley, rye) and dairy (e.g. milk, ice-cream, yogurt)
* Testing for hidden food allergies and avoidance of allergenic foods
* Treatment of intestinal bacterial / yeast overgrowth
* Detoxification of heavy metals, including lead, arsenic and mercury.